Monday 8 December 2014

What's In Your Diaper Bag? Nicole and Hayley

Nicole and I, despite living on separate coasts, share a lot in common. We happen to be the lucky women who married into a super tight group of childhood friends. They share every important occasion; every wedding, every birth, and unfortunately, every sad passing. Having long time friends at a similar stage of life is a major advantage, and as the first of my husband's friends to enter parenthood, I really wanted Nicole's advice.  Just as I expected, it is just as levelheaded as it is valuable. Today we share her tips for maintaining your sanity and bank balance.

What's In Your Diaper Bag?

Mommy's Name: Nicole


Baby's Name (and age): Hayley (11 months) and Blake (3 years)

Most Important Thing in Your Diaper Bag:

Diapers :)

Basic Save: 

Formula dispenser. Great because you can measure out formula into sections and then can dispense one bottle at a time. Have enough for 3 bottles without bringing formula tin. Don't waste your money on a name brand one. As long as it is BPA free plastic.

Image borrowed from www.toysrus.com
Here's an example of a formula dispenser.  They retail for around $4 and come in a variety of colours. You can find one in the baby section of most big box stores.

Essential Splurge: 

My coach diaper bag. (Just kidding, not a necessity.) I love Bum Bum balm. It is excellent when baby has diaper area irritation/rash. It costs approx $13 for small container, but a little goes a long way and the rash starts to heal by the time you change the next diaper. I have religiously used it for both of my children.

Best Preparedness Advice: 

I went out with my son when he was a few months old and all of a sudden he felt warm. I didn't have a thermometer or baby Tylenol with me. Of course as a first time mom, I was freaking out and rushed home. It turned out he didn't have a temperature and I didn't get my errands done. Now I always carry infant Tylenol and a thermometer with me.

Final words of wisdom: 

When you are out and your baby has a blow out, pukes on you, you have lost their shoe, you have eaten a chewed up cookie they have spit in your hand because there is no other option, you realize you may not have showered in 2 days and are wearing your pjs. You are not alone :) We have all gone through this and you are a great mom. Even after all of that, you will look at that sleeping little person that you have created and it is all worth it. Try to be prepared for as much as you can when leaving the house but the most important thing to remember is these little people have minds of their own and nothing ever goes exactly how you planned. Those moms who tell you that their lives didn't change and that they still do everything the same as before they had children and are giving you advice on what you are doing wrong, are lying


No comments:

Post a Comment